Re: FW Question

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 06:42:56 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 06:42:56 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: FW Question

>That begs the question, how do you get triploid plants? I think I
>know the answer but will hold off for fun to see if any of you can
>figure it out.

How about during meiosis, a set of the chromosomes(for some unknown
reason) don't separate? The result is a haploid cell with both copies of
a particular chromosome and another cell with no copies. When the
haploid cell with both copies of the chromosome fuses to another haploid
cell with one copy of the chromosome, you get the triploid cell.

  How's that for a stab in the dark,
  Stefan