RE: Dormancy and Stratification of CPs

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 06:56:40 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:56:40 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Dormancy and Stratification of CPs

> Becuase of the recent mild weather patterns in
> central North Carolina I have some concerns with my
> not so dormant CP. First of all none of my plants
> have gone into dormancy except my Drosera Capensis.
> I need to know the dormancy requirements (especially
> temperature) for the following plants:
> Dioneaea Muscipula
> Sarracenia Leocophyllia
> Pinguilica (uknown species)
> Sarracenia Purrpera
> Drosera Capensis

Hi Justin,
I'm in Durham, NC -- just up the road from you. I have all my Dionaea and
Sarracenia (flava, minor & leuco) outside and they are most certainly in
dormancy. On my way to work this morning I poked my finger at the sphagnum
in the pot containing my S. leuco and it was frozen solid. Sphagnum gets
kind of spiky when it is frozen this hard. The folks on the radio tell me it
was 27 degrees.

Where are you keeping your plants? I don't know much about Pings and Drosera
but the others can certainly be kept outside during the winter in this area
of the country. We are in the natural range for S. pupurea and almost within
the range of Dionaea. I don't think they'd appreciate being thrust outside
now because it would be a bit of a shock to them, but they need the cold in
addition to reduced light levels to enter dormancy.

Hope this helps,
Phil
URL du jour: http://www.squirrelnutzippers.com/