Re: Nepenthes pitcher questions

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 16:12:17 PST

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:12:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes pitcher questions

> Somewhere I read that if you take a cutting from the top of a Nep with upper
> pitchers, the resulting plant will never produce lower pitchers... does
> anybody know if this is true? I was also wondering if there is any way to
> get older and taller Nepenthes to start producing lower pitchers again..

I have found that apical cuttings of Nepenthes (upper growth with
upper pitchers) often keep producing upper growth when they start
growing vines from the dormant buds.

Once this upper growth has become well established with a good root
system, it often produces a basal growth from the crown. The basal
growth produces lower pitchers.

One way to encourage basal growth is to allow Nepenthes vines to
hang over the edge of the pot so that the growth tip is below
the root level. This technique has worked for many of my plants,
encouraging them to produce new basal shoots.

Regards,

Perry Malouf