This so-called "N. maxima"

From: CALIFCARN (CALIFCARN@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 14:28:51 PST

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:28:51 EST
From: CALIFCARN <CALIFCARN@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:  This so-called "N. maxima"

Howdy, folks, Peter D'Amato here. Trent's message caught my attention, about
this new mass produced Nepenthes marked "maxima". By the way, Trent, I'd
rather be in southern Florida than dank northern california this winter, maybe
sometime you'll invite me down to visit! A friend gave me a big pot of a
plant he got from Florida, and it was tagged N. maxima 'superba'. Is this the
same one you're talking about? While healthy, the plant was obviously grown
in low light conditions, and the pitchers not well developed, but it's
obviously not maxima, and I won't be able to guess until it repitchers in my
conditions. (I also transplanted it from the dense peat mix it was in).
Anyway, if you figure out what this thing is, I'd be interested in knowing.
On a similar subject, has anyone found out what this N. "hybride" is, this
Holland produced mass marketed Nepenthes? Mike Ross told me last summer that
when he visits the place in Holland where this plant is produced, he'll try
and find out its heritage. I'm rather impressed with it. Another friend,
Curtis, picked one up last spring and gave it to me when it was a feeble
rosette barely four inches across. It's now large with six inch pitchers, and
actually looks like it may be similar to this N. maxima 'superba'. I truely
agree with the comments of others who wished these wholesalers would at least
have the foresight and courtesy to put real names of their plants on these
mass-produced Nepenthes. Th-th-th-th that's all folks.