RE: Germination %

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 04:03:00 PST

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 07:03:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Germination %

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the update. It's wonderful to know that you got such good
germination rates. I think you may be right about the purpurea purpurea
seed needing longer stratification. Maybe someone from the list has
some experiences with germinating this species that they can share with
us.

David
 ----------
To: dam7@cdc.gov

Hi, you sent me 6 packs of sarracenia seed a while back. I each
different species's seeds in a wrapped up paper towel that was dampened
with rain water that had superthrive in it. I then put the paper damp
papertowels full of seed into 6 different plastic baggies. I then put
all of the baggies into my refrigerator. I used no fungucide. 5 1/2
weeks later I removed the baggies and sowed the seed into 6 tuperware
containers full of peat moss, saturated it and waited. 3 weeks later the
seeds began to sprout. I am very pleased because I got around 85 % or
the seeds of each species to sprout, and I now have pots just full of
seedlings putting up their first juvenile pitchers. However I only got
about 25% of the S. purpurea purpurea to sprout. All of the other
species had around 85% sprout. Im not sure why but I believe it is
because this pitcher plant is located farther north than many of the
other pitcher plants and its seeds might expect or reqire a longer
stratification period.

                 Thanks Again For The Seed,
                                                Matt Miller