Feeding Carnivorous Plants

From: Denis Daly (dalymob@bigpond.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 18:36:54 PST

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:36:54 -0800
From: Denis Daly <dalymob@bigpond.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Feeding Carnivorous Plants

Hellow All.

Feeding Carnivorous Plants:-

I have noted the discussions on feeding carnivorous plants.
Some of you are noting improvements in your plants growth. I have
been advocating fertilising carnivorous plants for some time now.

In the case of Nepenthes most people apply reasonable amounts of
fertiliser already. Nepenthes are not evaluated in the references
referred to below.

Being lucky enough to live in Sydney, Australia, my plants are
outdoors all year and catch their own prey.

The real significance of that fact became apparent only last week
when I obtained a copy of a review of Mineral Nutrition of
Carnivorous Plants (reference 1).There are two other related
articles that were published in CPN in 1992 and 1996. (references
2 & 3)

I must say that after reading reference 1 I learnt a lot from them
on how I might improve my mineral fertilisation of Carnivorous
Plants.

Feeding of carnivorous plants is not simply a matter of either
either ensuring that plants trap prey or of using very dilute
fertilisers. While either helps BOTH together work wonders. Unless
you grow hydroponically using distilled water you are fertilising
the plants.

Not all carnivorous plants have been investigated (references 1,
2, 3) as the scientific community has not assigned a high priority
to the study of mineral nutrition of carnivorous plants. The
articles are a valable starting point that we laymen (as most of
us are) should be gratefully for to improve our techniques for the
cultivation of carnivorous plants.