Re: Danser's Synoptic Statement

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 08:59:29 PST

Date:          Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:59:29
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Danser's Synoptic Statement

Dear Trent,

> Danser broke the genus Nepenthes into groups , bases on what I
> understand to be similarities in morphology: Vulgatae, Montanae,
> Nobiles, Regiae, Insignes, and Urceolatae.
>
> Is this considered valid today?

Not entirely. Vulgatae is certainly a vastly heterogeneous group
uniting many unrelated species. Urceolatae are at least disputable.
Nobiles includes at least two distinct groups. Regiae is remarkably
homogeneous and probably a natural group.

> If so, has anyone done any further work
> on this topic, especially where new species come into the picture?

Rudolf Schmid-Hollinger. I recommend his whole series "_Nepenthes_-
Studien" that appeared during the 1970ies.

Joe Mullins (Reading, UK) is presently working on a molecular
phylogeny of the genus (so far without any published results). Heubl
(Munich, Germany) wants to launch a RFLP study on the genus.

Kind regards
Jan