Re: Brocchinea division and Superthrive and growing live sphagnum

From: CALIFCARN (CALIFCARN@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 15:41:09 PST

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:41:09 EST
From: CALIFCARN <CALIFCARN@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Brocchinea division and Superthrive and growing live sphagnum

Howdy folks. Jonathan Mitchell inquired about dividing Brocchinea reducta.
In my experience, while offshoots develop occasionally on a plant, like most
bromeliads it is after flowering that several offshoots will form rapidly, and
the mother plant usually kicks the bucket after several months. I would
recommend waiting until the offshoots are at least one quarter the size of the
mother plant before dividing them. Before this time, roots may not be
strongly developed on the baby plants: I have lost them when I have divided
them too early. Concerning another message about Superthrive, the bottles
are pre-priced by the Vitamin Institute. Four ounce bottles are $8.45, which
is what we sell at California Carnivores. Two ounce bottles are also
available for $5.24 (we, however, don't market that size). Concerning the
growing of live sphagnum moss from dried long fiber, I usually do this in
winter, when the moss grows best. I lay out the moss in seed trays, about two
inches deep, and soak it so the moss is virtually waterlogged, and cover the
tray with a clear plastic dome. I place the tray under the greenhouse bench,
where it is cool and bright. The moss starts growing like crazy in a couple
of months. Since I use Mosser Lee moss from Wisconsin, this moss is not
really fond of continuously hot conditions, and generally succeeds only in a
cooler environment, such as cold and cool greenhouses. By the way, I spend a
few pages on the pros and cons of live sphagnum moss in my upcoming book.
Peter D'Amato