Re:Sugar Ant Remedy

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 19:03:34 PST

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:03:34 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Sugar Ant Remedy

>Nepenthes
>use nectar to attract their prey. Well, it seems that "my" pharoah
ants
>are attracted to Nepenthes nectar, I have just recently discovered;
very
>attracted.

Trent here in the office, once again on Richard's computer. I found
Derek's posting amusing. The sugar ants appear in my kitchen (also in
Florida), and I could never figure out what was attracting them, as I
keep the kitchen spotlessly clean. I tried eveything to get rid of
them, without resorting to strong insecticides. I solved the problem
overnight with a single plant of N. alata. I placed the plant next to
the sink, turned out the lights and called it a night. The next morning
there were no more ants. A single pitcher was full of drowned ants, with
a few stragglers still running around the peristome or clinging to the
lid . The plant went back outside and the kitchen ant problem was
solved.

Helpful housekeeping tips for CP ers.

Until later,

Trent Meeks