Misc.

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Sat Jan 17 1998 - 22:25:53 PST

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 01:25:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Misc.

Where I live here in Florida, the "winter" is the season where it gets a
little colder outside and a lot of the little creepy-crawly beasties like
to start coming inside where the people usually keep it much warmer than
necessary. In the apts in which I live, this is also the season when I
typically see the little pharoah ants (I've heard them called sugar ants,
too) come into my kitchen. As I'm sure everyone here is aware, Nepenthes
use nectar to attract their prey. Well, it seems that "my" pharoah ants
are attracted to Nepenthes nectar, I have just recently discovered; very
attracted. In particular, my N.alata x maxima usually has several dozen
teeny little ants running around its peristome. Needless to say, many
fall in. So here it is, the cold part of the year when bugs are typically
scarce and my Nepenthes are gorging themselves. I'm trying to avoid the
urge to start leaving candy wrappers lying around in the other
terrarium for my other plants....

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)