Introduction & _N. madagascariensis_

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 09:04:44 PST

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:04:44 -0500
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction & _N. madagascariensis_

Hello, I am Steven Stewart in Sanford,Florida,U.S.A.. I have been
following this group now for a while, because cp and other unusual
plants have taken up a good part of my life for more than 25yrs..I have
been working at a private college in central Florida for the past 12
yrs.. I have a small wholesale plant business and a number of Florida
native and other unusual plant species from around the world.
I have been growing _N. madagascariensis_ for about a year now (thanks
Cliff). This Nep. seens to be an exception to the "general" culture of
others.I allow this species to become completely dry out between
waterings,potted in long-fibered sphagnum rootbound in 1 gallon plastic
pots. I soak when dry but keep it too dry for the live sphagnum on the
surface to thrive. My plants are about 2 ft. tall with upper pitchers a
bright green, 4" in size, and basal pitchers apple red 2". The leaves
are dark green with some red tint from direct sunlight. The main
problem with this clone is it's lack of resistance to "Black Spot"
fungus, which occurs on plants under mist. This is the way I grow this
species in central Fl.
I hope this information is of some help.
Steve Stewart