Re: N. madagascariensis

From: CMcdon0923 (CMcdon0923@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 19:44:27 PST

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:44:27 EST
From: CMcdon0923 <CMcdon0923@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. madagascariensis

I have five or six plants, all purchased from Home Depot, and according to
their original tags, all from TC. I have done basically nothing to them since
purchasing them last February. They are still in their original 3" pots. I
keep them in about 1/2 inch of distilled water in a 10 gallon aquarium with a
hinged lid to provide air circulation. Temperatures range from about 60F at
night to into the 90s on a bright day. I have to cover the setup with an
opaque cover on really bright days (Texas winters). I'll have to move it to a
less sunny window when summer rolls around, or figure out how to really shield
the tank. Humidity averages between 70 to 85%.

For the first few months after purchase, they just sat there. I then began
adding about a cap full of Superthrive to each gallon of their water. About
two months later they began developing pitchers, BUT around the same time, I
also rearranged them and placed them in a much sunnier location. So, I can't
be sure which action may have contributed more to the sudden pitchering.

Right now, the plants average about 6 inches in height, and are up to 8" or
maybe a little more, in diameter. Every plant has six to eight pitchers in
various stages of development/death. The pitchers all show a bright pinkish-
red color at the top, changing to a pale yellow-green at the base. Some of
the leaves also have some mottled red color. Pitcher size ranges from about
1/2 inch for newer ones, to a few of about 1-1/2 inches.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the plants has ever trapped anything.