P. gypsicola is hard to die

From: Alessandro Delfrate (alex.gizmo@iol.it)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 13:55:29 PST

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:55:29 +0100
From: "Alessandro Delfrate" <alex.gizmo@iol.it>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: P. gypsicola is hard to die

Hi list

I have two considerations:

1) first of all my compliments for the December issue of CPN. Full of
interesting informations and valuable contributions. Every time I read a
CPN I always wandering about the high quality of the contributions and the
selection of the various articles that makes the reading a really fantastic
experience. Thanks to all!

2) Plants want to live, and only our actions contribute to their death.
This spring I had a nice plantlet from a winter leaf of P. gypsicola. When
the plant was 1 cm of diameter, due to unknown reasons suddenly rotted.
I carefully placed the only leaf I could save from the disaster, (about 1
cm length) in live sphagnum under artificial lights, 14 our photoperiod and
about 25 - 30 \260C temperature. After 4 weeks from the single leaf I obtained
n\260 5 nice plantlets, that now are growing in my small greenhouse. A
question for the experts: my adult P. gypsicola are now in with the winter
bud ( bone dry conditionsof the substrate) , while the five small plants
(same greenhouse conditions of the adult plants) are slowly growing without
the formation of the winter bud (wet conditions). It is normal that small
plants do not develop the winter buds? Another note: I placed 5 winter
leafs from my adult plants in live sphagnum, 10 hours photoperiod, 5 - 10
\260C (here in Italy is winter time) and I obtained 4 plantlets. This is a
lucky winter for me!!

Regards

Alessandro Delfrate (alex.gizmo@iol.it)