VFT's Responding Well?!?! =)

From: Richard T. Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 18:24:06 PST

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 02:24:06 GMT
From: bergrd@valunet.com (Richard T. Berg)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT's Responding Well?!?!  =)

 Greetings again!

  Since I've just joined this discussion group and have thoroughly =
enjoyed
over 2 weeks of messages now, I wanted to post a question or two and =
maybe
an observation about the 9 VFT's I've taken under my wing and hopefully
nurtured over the past 2-3 weeks...

  To start things off I basically have a generic setup so far with only a=
 5
1/2 gallon aquarium with a glass lid that keeps the heat and humidity =
up...
Added to this setup is a reptile 'Under Tank' heating pad that keeps the
temps around 86 F (daytime) high 60's F (evening) which has seemed to =
work
quite well... I"ve been growing some regular tropical's so I have the =
basic
setup with timer (photo period 16 hours), and check's & measures... All
seems fine and I've noticed one really neat aspect of these new plants...=
=20

At first potting (sphagnum) most plants reacted a little funny with some
traps going black and leaves turning yellow... But after a few weeks I've
noticed a new leaf poking it's way upward almost daily... All leaves are
nice and bright green and the traps are lovely... But the other day I
noticed something quite remarkable... Well I wouldn't say it's all that
remarkable but rather the first time I've seen such reaction in a plant
form... About 4 days ago I found some nice small insects under a log and
promptly allowed 3 of the plants to feast while the others I let go... =
Over
the past few days I've noticed that the plants I've given insects to have
shot out new leaves faster and more robust than the plants I didn't =
feed...

At feeding time 2 plants of similar size had started putting out a new
leaf... After about 2-4 days the one plant that did get fed had grown =
this
new leaf nearly twice as fast as the one that did not feed... WoW!.. =
This
really made me grin with delight!... Just wondering if anyone (I'm sure =
you
have) has noticed this or even done a study on the effects of outside
nutrients (insects) play on the speed a plant develops/lives...=20

Well this is getting drawn out and boring and I applaud those still
reading! I'm now searching for more plants of different species to start
growing!.. Thanks so much for listening and for having such a form..
without great discussion groups as these us newbies would never learn!...
Kudos to all!!!!

Thanks!

                                                ... Richard Berg

          //