peat moss fuzz and slime

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 21:00:56 PST

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:00:56 PST
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: peat moss fuzz and slime

Hi list. Although the label on the packages claimed the stuff was
heat-sterilized to kill weeds etc, the last batch of sphagnum peat I
bought (from Frank's) has grown green fuzzy stuff and a few weeds as
well. Anybody know what this green stuff is or more importantly how to
get rid of it? I'm worried that it will effect seed germination.
Anyone have any suggestion as to which U.S. brands of peat are "cleaner"
or better for CP culture? Mail-order preferred.
As if this wasn't bad enough, the dried sphagnum moss I also bought at
Frank's quickly grew white hairy stuff... My guess is that both of these
unwanted guests are mold. Anyone else dissatisfied with Frank's
products? Please email me if you know of a good mail-order source for
high quality dried sphagnum and peat! Thanks in advance.
Matt

PS. To all those who have requested seed, I'm now in the process of
dividing it all up and it's taking a lot longer than I had anticipated.