Styrofoam peanuts

From: dalford@norfolk.infi.net
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 19:28:33 PST

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:28:33 -0500
From: dalford@norfolk.infi.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Styrofoam peanuts

         Hello all I have been lurking in the background of this group for about a
year now. Until now I didn't think I had anything to contribute to the
group. As a long time orchid grower and somewhat of a newbie to the cp's I
have just sat back and learned from the more experienced and knowledgeable
among you. But now I would like to add my 2cents worth on the styro peanut
issue from first hand experience.
        About 4 years ago I came into a large quantity of what I call figure 8
peanuts they have two holes through them and they are 'GREEN'. I gleefully
used these in the place of the white ones I had been using to crock the
bottoms of all of my orchid pots for increased drainage (as well as
reducing the amount of potting media required). In the past the roots kept
right on growing right on thru the peanuts with no ill effects. After
about 6 months some of the plants started to look sickly but with 1500 or
so orchids without pulling tags it was impossible to tell when they were
potted. After a while they not only looked sick they were DEAD. Well you
always loose a few plants but these were mature,robust, previously blooming
plants, something was wrong here!
        Finally got around to knocking some of them out of their pots and sure
enough there were those *&^%$#&*)) figure 8 peanuts. Then I remembered a
guest lecture George Marcopolis from California Orchid Conservation Project
had given to our society and he also had a one line comment on the toxicity
of 'Green' peanuts.
        I immediately checked the tags in all of the pots and knocked the ones
potted in that time period out of their pots and sure enough if they
weren't dead they were in bad shape. This stuff even leaches out with each
watering and seriously damaged plants in baskets of fir bark only (no
peanuts)that were situated below the pots containing figure 8's. Some
recovered - most did not.
        My loss and the passing on of the information prevented an entire orchid
society from re potting at a re potting party with the deadly figure 8's.
I was not aware of the cause other than type of styrofoam used to make the
green ones, but have also stayed away from the pink ones that are treated
with an anti static compound. Never had any trouble with any shape of the
white peanuts 'S' '7' 'chip' or 'mini S'.