Re:N.clipeata fire

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 01:34:00 PST

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:34:00 +0100
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:N.clipeata fire

Hi,

sorry for mailing my comment twice!

Hi Rand,

< Was this fire that you speak of a natural event?

I don't think so. I believe there was the same reason as this year: El
Ninio! In 1983 was a very strong El Ninio and thousands of square
miles burned down. The fire at Kelam was later. But the reason was -
so I think - the same: the natives there burned the rainforest for
agriculture. I also don't believe that clipeata is adapted to fire.
You can compare this case with the destiny of Nepenthes campanulata:
died out by a fire.

So I often think about CITES-regulations on the one hand and
destroying of natural living space of carnivorous plants on the other
hand. No protection by law will help to stop the dieing out of
species, if the locations will be destroyed by sattlement, new roads
or mining of natural resorces (including trees). In my opinion N.
clipeata is not the last carnivorous plant, which will die out in the
next time.

Johannes

--
Homepage: