Growing conditions of clipeata

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 02:39:39 PST

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:39:39 +0100
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Growing conditions of clipeata

Hi Gilles,

>Hi Johannes,
>Thank you for these precisions, but could you also describe the soil
and
>humidity conditions in which the plants grow ?
>Does siliceous rock means that they grow in sand, or is it sphagnum,
and do
>they have water running on the roots ?

It is hard to say how the conditions have been before the fire there
(by the way, I do not believe, that the all the plants have been
stolen by collectors, as Clarke write in his book; the end of these
plants was the fire). I saw many chared trees and only less protecting
Vegetation and no more clipeata. On the right photo of my homepage you
have a few over the landsscape near Sintang nearby the location of
clipeata. Nep. clipeata grew there in gras and mould on outlets of
rock. Siliceous means the kind of rock which Kelam consists of. There
was a lot of running water but I don't know if it was running on the
roots. I don't think so, because running water will wash all soil
down.

N.clipeata is easy to grow. A well drained soil ( I use dried
clay-pearls, quarzsand = siliceous and peat), not too cold and too hot
temperatures (18-30\260Cel.) and a ventilation in summer, this is a good
method. My plants are 25 years in culture and flowered several times.

Bye Johannes

--
Homepage:
johannes.marabini@t-online.de/index.htm">http://home.t-online.de/home/johannes.marabini@t-online.de/index.htm