Re: small ping from Oaxaca

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 09:48:54 PST

Date:          Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:48:54
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: small ping from Oaxaca

Dear Edward,

> There is a pinguicula that grows in Oaxaca, is self fertile, and grows
> only as big as your thumb nail.
> If you know what this plant is named, please tell me.

There are several possibilities. The most probable is _P.
crenatiloba_, a close relative of the quite frequently cultivated _P.
emarginata_. It can be recognized by the flowers that have emarginate
corolla lobes (with distinct teeth at the tip). It is one of the
smallest species in the genus and the smallest known from Mexico.

> I'll be in Oaxaca again. If you know locations of pings in this state I
> would like to talk with you.

There are localities all over this state. If you visit places in the
Sierra that are not yet known as type localities of described
species (cf. _P. gigantea, greenwoodii, hemiepiphytica, laueana,
mirandae, rectifolia, stolonifera, utricularioides_ in the cp
database, all described since 1989!), you will probably find new
locations, and perhaps even new species!

Visit the 1998 cp conference at Bonn, Germany (May 29 - June 1).
Amongst others, Hans Luhrs (who described two of the species
mentioned above himself) will tell about his experience in Mexico.
Registration forms are in the most recent issue of CPN and on the web:
http://www.gfp.org/icps/anmform.htm

Kind regards
Jan