re: N. clipeata question

From: Andreas Wistuba (andreas@wistuba.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 1998 - 07:39:28 PST

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:39:28 +0000
From: "Andreas Wistuba" <andreas@wistuba.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: N. clipeata question

On 6 Jan 98 at 6:33, Borneo Exotics wrote:

> Gilles Lardy wrote:
>
> I have put on my heater last week, and notice that my clipeata is growing
> faster (around 27 deg C). I thought this was a highland species, but
> recently R. Cantley put it in the lowland section of his website.
>
> Any comment and experience appreciated...
>
> Actually, N. clipeata is not a species I have ever grown, so I don't know
> much about it's cultivation requirements! The reason I put it in the
> lowland section is that the mountain it comes from, Gng Kelam is almost
> exactly 1,000m high which puts it borderline between highland and lowland.
> It grows on cliff faces, so presumably it doesn't exits on the top of the
> mountain (if it did it'd be long gone!).
>
> 27 deg C sounds about right for the altitude, but beware, if it behaves as
> a highlander, it may need a night-time temperature a bit lower than this.
> You may possibly find that growth slows down after a while, or abnormal
> growth starts to appear if it doesn't get the temperature swing. No doubt
> others who have growing experience can tell you more.
>
> Best of luck!
>

> Robert Cantley

I'd recommend growing N. clipeata in an intermediate range of
temperatures - not like extreme lowlanders (e.g. N. bicalcarata),
however warmer than real highland species.

I must admit that after establishing the first plants from tissue
culture last spring N. clipeata has turned out to be easier than
I had expected:-)

They are not very fast but I had only very little losses.

Bye,

Andreas

THE NEPENTHES NURSERY
http://www.wistuba.com
Mudauer Ring 227; 68259 Mannheim; Germany
Fax: +49 621 7152028
nepenthes@wistuba.com