Re: Pine Needles for Increasing Acidity?

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sat Jan 03 1998 - 17:07:09 PST

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 18:07:09 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pine Needles for Increasing Acidity?

CMcdon0923 <CMcdon0923@aol.com> writes:

>I believe I read that decomposing pine needles are a good
>natural way to increase acidity in soil. Since the old Christmas
>tree came down today, I was wondering if it might be a good idea
>to sprinkle some needles on top of my pots before the tree is
>picked up?

I can't comment on whether decomposing pine needles will increase acidity
in soil, however, I would caution that Christmas trees are often treated
with various things such as dyes, flame retardants and preservatives and
I suspect these things could be potentially toxic to CP.

Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"
Boulder, CO