Re: Pine Mulch

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 20:53:10 PST

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 23:53:10 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pine Mulch

Over the past two years my local source for pure pine needle (straw)
mulch has evaporated. I am now using a semi-coarse grade of pine bark
mulch in my CP potting mixes. The results are just as good. The last pH
reading I took on some drosera and dioneae soil containing this
ingredient came in around 4.5 - 5.0 . The pine bark is often sold in
large bags and can be quite easy to come by at a garden center when you
can't find pine needles! My CP mixes (except Nepenthes) contain 10-20%
of this product. Just stir it in with the silica sand and peat!

By the way, I cover all my outdoor Sarracenias with an 8" mulch of pine
bark to overwinter them in the frozen tundra of Northeast Ohio.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@crscms.com