Re: VFT SOS PDQ

From: L235 (L235@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 18:30:29 PST

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 21:30:29 EST
From: L235 <L235@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT SOS PDQ

Quint N wrote in CP digest 1310

< I've got an Aki Ryu (D. muscipula) that's pushin' up a spike. Is it
 <possible to "self" it? If not, that means I'll have to locate some pollen-
 <can anyone help out?(pleezo-pleezo-pleez!)

Didn't see a public response to this, so I thought I would:

1) Please don't do it! Named cultivars should not be sexually propagated.

2) If you do it anyway, please don't call it Akai Ryu. Named cultivars of
plants do not retain their name (at least not correctly) if they are sexually
propagated. All the Akai Ryus in cultivation are clones (most of them tissue
cultured) of the original plant from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.

BTW, I learned this the hard way, when I was young(er) and foolish (at least
moreso than I am today ... those who know me keep quiet <grin>). I was
blithely growing D. x 'Marston Dragon' and D. x 'California Sunset' which I
had been given as seedlings (as in from seeds, that is sexually propagated,
which I've already said above is a no no.). On the advice of others older and
wiser than me, I reluctantly destroyed the plants.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP."