New Years gift

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 08:04:00 PST

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:04:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: New Years gift

Last night I stratified Sarracenia seed for spring and realized that I
have lots of seed left over. The left over seed are free, well almost
free. If you live in the US, I'd appreciate receiving $2 to cover
postage and a padded envelope. If you live outside the US, it truly is
free.

Here's my other request. I'm looking for more Darlingtonia seed. And
you say, still! Yes, because I really screwed up with some of the seed
people sent earlier when I accidentally left potted seed out in a
rainstorm. Argh!

I guess there is a third request. If you have seed to trade, we can
talk but believe me, it is absolutely not necessary and I will not think
less of you if you don't.

So, here's the list. Choose as many as you like. W means wild
collected.

S. alata
W-- Jackson County, Mississippi, across from Graceland Baptist Church
        green with burgandy highlights
W-- Ocean City, Mississippi, across from Jesus Christ Baptist Church
        green with burgandy highlights
W-- Jackson County, Mississippi at the Alabama, Miss state line on Hwy
9?
        (will look that up to be sure). This may be a hybrid swarm
with
        S. leucophylla, although I saw only one true leucophylla in the
field.
        There is a great deal of variation in pitcher coloration, from
brugandy
        to green, some with fenestrations on the hood, some without.
Quite striking.
S-- selfing of alata's in my bog

S. purpurea venosa
W-- Jackson County, Miss (not a lot of seed)

S. psittacina
W-- Miramar Beach, Florida.
        These psitts are very large and very red
 -- Walton County, Florida
        These psitts are smaller, more green, but turned red in the fall

S. flava
W-- Miramar Beach, Florida
       ** red tubed
       ** red veined

        These are fabulous. Some seed come from plants with red
         pitchers, some come from plants with heavily red veined
pitchers. A few
         plants are green to lightly veined so you're likely to get a
mix. However,
         I've separated the seed according to whether it came from a red
tubed
         plant or a red veined plant.
 -- Walton County, Florida
        This is the cutthroat or rugelii form with a very broad, full
marroon blotch
         where the hood meet's the pitcher's column. Very large plants.
some W-- Dorchester County, South Carolina
        This is also a cutthroat or rugelii form but the blotch is not
as full and the
         plants are smaller than the Walton County flava's.

S. leucophylla
W- Crestview, Florida
        A standard leucophylla
W- Walton County, Forida
        A standard leucphylla
 -- Avalon Beach, Florida, plant came from Orgel's

S. minor
W-- Lighthouse Road, Berkeley County, South Carolina
        A standard minor
W-- Dorchester County, South Carolina
        A standard minor

S. hybrid
 -- Walton County, Florida, definitely has flava parentage. My guess
is that it's
        flava x purpurea then back to flava a time or two. The plant is
almost
        erect with a slight curve to the pitcher. The pitchers have
more bronze
        and the flowers have some bronze compared to the yellow of a
true flava.

David
3409 Regalwoods Drive
Doraville, GA 30340