Indoor Lighting

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 1997 - 23:23:47 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 02:23:47 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Indoor Lighting

Derek Glidden wrote:

> I grow nearly all of my plants indoors under artificial lighting. I have
> 4x48" flourescent fixtures about 18" away from the bottom of the tank
> in which all the pots are sitting, so they vary from probably 16" to 12"
> from the tops of the plants. Now my question is: for species that are
> said to "prefer shade" are they likely to be getting too much light and I
> should put some screening in between them and the lights, or is the fact
> that I'm using artificial indoor lighting "dim enough" to do? Everything
> seems to be doing quite well, but I'd like to avoid plants suddenly
> croaking one day for having had too much light for the previous six
> months.

Actually, your plants are unlikely to croak in a day... especially from
light. (Unless you're sitting the lamp directly on the plant...) I can
tell that my terraria light are perfect for VFT trap reddening- a good
indicator of high lamp luminosity- (And they're each 17 watt lamps
located 22" from the plant tops!)- but this was probably not so good for
the pings I killed. Those plants just never seemed to thrive...
although all three types did flower profusely. The mutt ping always
seemed to be folded up during the day and reclined at night. The other
two pings thrived until they completed flowering, then died in a month's
time.

As for the tongue ping, I really hated to see it die as it was the only
butterwort I've ever grown that you could see the sticky glands rising
from the leaf! Also, the gluey substance would draw out if you touched
it... none of the other pings in my collection did that.

My advice would be to just observe the plants and at the first sign of
trouble, move them around.

Cheers,
Paul

--