Re: Oxygen to nepenthes roots

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sat Dec 27 1997 - 03:18:06 PST

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 06:18:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Oxygen to nepenthes roots

Chin-Wee Lee wrote:

> Have anybody tried adding that oxygen water additive (which is suppose
> to give more oxygen to the roots) to CP's?...
> .... I was just wondering if that oxygen water additive would be
> beneficial to CP's in general.

Funny you should mention that. Although he doesn't use an oxygen
water additive, Rob Sacilotto advises that it's a good idea to
aerate RO water before using it on CP. He says that the RO
process removes a good amount of dissolved gases, as well as the
salts. Before using a jug of RO water, he shakes the jug vigorously
or pours it into another large container to thoroughly aerate the water.
He also does this with his peat tea mix, as the boiling process used
for making the tea also removes a lot of dissolved gases.

I don't know if there are observable benefits to doing this. His
plants seem to grow just fine, so apparently it doesn't hurt. My
experience is that it's difficult to _not_ have dissolved gases in
my RO water because I'm always vigorously pouring it into another
container before I use it. Same goes for the peat tea.

Regards,

Perry Malouf