Re: D.madagascariensis var.major and D.sp."Guyana"

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Sat Dec 27 1997 - 01:48:38 PST

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 18:48:38 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.madagascariensis var.major and D.sp."Guyana"

Rob,

        First of all I'm glad to hear Eric is being able to maintain alive the
D.madagascariensis I collected at Magaliesberg in October!! Beautifully robust
aren't they??
        I didn't have much time to check herbaria, but the quick look I took
at the Pretoria Herbarium did seem to indicate that there may be 2 forms, one
being this big-leaved, green, short-stemmed form growing in the southern part
of the range, and a smaller-leaved, reddish, long-stemmed form occurring
further north.
        Plus the differences cited for D.affinis, of longer + more glabrous
petioles and growing in wetter parts of swamps than sympatric D.madagascari-
ensis, could easily be due to ecological factors in my opinion. This group
of stemmed tropical Drosera certainly needs more study.

Matt,

        About your D.sp."Guyana", can you describe leaf shape? What do you
mean by "semi-erect"? The leaves were semi-erect (versus flat on the ground)
or the plant had a small stem?

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan