Capensis and cp dormancy

From: KILSMOOTH (KILSMOOTH@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 03:24:15 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 06:24:15 EST
From: KILSMOOTH <KILSMOOTH@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Capensis and cp dormancy

Hello all! Brian here....Hmmmm,i don't think i've ever heard of problems
growing capensis,only trying to get rid of it!! :) Though i have had a little
trouble with the "red" varieties,I always make sure this variety is given more
sun and kept a little drier,and they do better....The other varieties do too
well on their own !! Also watering is kept to a minimum with all my Drosera
during the Winter...Try giving them some peat tea,{water from the bottom,i.e.
watering tray} and keep soil only moist..As far as cp dormancy goes,living in
Fl...I've never refridged any cp...even with our warmer winters..I've always
just kept dormant cp drier, and in complete shade with great results. However,
since "el Nino" is lurking upon us {which means cooler, wetter weather for
us} I may have to set all dormant cp in the greenhouse to avoid overwatering
via rainfall this Winter...AS far as vft dormancy, I planted about 300 vft
seed in a remote area of the Fl. panhandle several years ago. To date, there
are about 4 or 500 healthy vfts happily basking in the Fl. sun.with no
refridgeration..Average Winter temps...50to 60 deg. with occasional patchy
frost....with winter highs of 80 sometimes...So they are definitely less picky
than most think! :) Hey regardless of anything....Enjoy cp!!!!! Brian
P.S. Hey C. Dodd,email me ..i lost your Number!!!! Bri