Nepenthes getting red spots and air movement

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 10:31:34 PST

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:31:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes getting red spots and air movement

I have one Nepenthes (N. * 'Holland Hybrid') that I've noticed red spots
on the leaves. It's in the same terrarium as all my others, who don't get
red spots. If I look very closely, I've found little bugs of some sort in
the middle of most of the red spots - maybe scale; they look like little
tiny pieces of white fuzz, perhaps 1/10mm in size. I can brush them off
easily with a fingertip most of the time, although sometimes they appear
to be "stuck on." Leaves that I've brushed them way come out with no red
spots. The plant itself seems none the worse for wear having grown like
this for several months.

Charles Brewer wrote:

> The main key to my success is good air movement. I keep a fan
> circulating air, 24 hours a day inside the greenhouse just like
> mother nature does outside.

Unless you live in Florida, where between about the months of June and
October, she turns the air conditioning off. :)

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)