Re: 2 basic venus fly trap questions

From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 07:58:15 PST

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:58:15 +0000
From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: 2 basic venus fly trap questions

Hello Jennifer,

> Hi. I'm new to the world of carnivorous plants and have two questions
> that I hope someone can answer.

Welcome to the list. As a good cp-beginner, you should kill your
first VFT. No, I'm only joking.

> 1. I live in Manhattan and can't seem to find much food for my venus fly
> traps. Is it okay to feed them little crickets?

Normally, it should go to rest now, so no feeding. If you
keep your VFT during the growing season outside, or with open
windows, it will catch pray itself.

> 2. Should my vfts be fed at this time of the year? I don't quite
> understand when, specifically, they should be dormant or for how long.

>From autumn until spring, it should rest. Keep cool and damp (not
freezing, not wet); its above ground parts may die back a little
bit, that's normal.

Guy VdK