Terraria

From: Tim Williams (Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 08:03:51 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 16:03:51 -0000
From: Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Terraria

Dear CP growers,

Could anyone offer advice on how to prevent a tropical-fish aquarium, =
used as a CP terrarium, from developing an unpleasant-smelling bottom =
layer? I would like to use a large aquarium for some of my nepenthes, =
and since the plants are potted, just put something like gravel in the =
aquarium bottom. The idea of the gravel is just to buffer the water =
content a bit.=20

Previous attempts at this have resulted in a very unpleasant-smelling =
stagnant layer, and I gave up before mould or something worse took over =
the habitat.

I have tried using moist sphagnum moss (of the dry, dead sort) and this =
also seems to go "smelly" very rapidly (after about 2 weeks) in the warm =
and humid nepenthes growing conditions.

Also, what is the best way of maintaining the required internal =
temperature- a small light-bulb-type heater? Or heating cable?

If anyone using this sort of container could offer advice, I would much =
appreciate it.

Tim Williams.