RE: VFT, yellow d.capensis

From: Ermine! (ermine@netscape.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 1997 - 16:55:35 PST

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:55:35 -0800
From: "Ermine!" <ermine@netscape.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT, yellow d.capensis

> From: JR <ramey@iquest.net>
> Can you suggest where I could purchase a Venus Flytrap, and/or seeds
> for same? Thank you,
> John Ramey

You could try your local Home Depot if you have one, or you might find
one at a nursery if there are any around you.

Failing that, I have a small number of seeds (maybe 10 in the bag) that
I'd be glad to send you if you get me an address. I've got 7 sprouts
already, so I know the seeds are viable, and I certainly don't mind
sharing. :) I don't have any room for more right now, and by the time I
get it, I can probably get seed from my own plants. (I've got about 17
sprouts and seedlings at the moment - busy year!)

> Yellow or weak d. capensis is a sign of needed dormancy. Meanwhile, in
> hot
> conditions it begins to flower (remember it's spring now in S-Africa)
> although
> its bad health.
>
> Laurent

Really? I didn't know d.capensis needed to go dormant! I'm new at all
this. I knew that d.rotundifolia did, but not d.capensis. I guess I'd
better put all of them outside for the rest of the winter then,
shouldn't I?

Matt O.