Re: Re: Classification of Nepenthes pervillei

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 15:03:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 04 Dec 97 18:03 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Classification of Nepenthes pervillei

Dear Jan & List,

> > I don't know much about Nepenthes pervillei and I am curious as to what
> > is so unique about it that anyone would think that it belongs to a
> > separate genus.
>
> Well, the species is a straightforward _Nepenthes_. The seeds,
> however, do not have the long "tails" on either side of the embryo
> that are so characteristic for the other species in the genus (Greek:
> An-=non-; uro=tail; sperma=seed). This has been interpreted as an
> adaptation to life on small islands (Seychelles), where long thin
> seeds could possibly be blown away to the open sea.

   I started thinking about the shape of Nepenthes seeds not too long
ago. I felt perhaps Nepenthes which are mostly found on the ground
will have denser seeds than those which are often found as epiphytes.
Then I heard that N.madagascarensis is strictly terrestrial and when
I got a good look at some seeds from this species they were denser
than other species and hybrids I have seen. The "tails" were about
the same length, maybe a bit shorter though not much, but they were
thicker or had more material to them. Then again, I haven't all that
much experience with Nepenthes seeds so my comparision might not have
much value. Has anyone else noticed a connection to the density of the
seeds and species' growing habits (besides the one above that I just
found out about!)?

Thanks,
Dave Evans