Flowering D.Capensis

From: Matt Ouimette (ermine@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 15:18:52 PST

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 15:18:52 -0800
From: Matt Ouimette <ermine@netscape.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Flowering D.Capensis

Hello again!

 I'm going to continue to act as straight man here, and ask a lot of
very
 basic questions. I hope the other beginners appreciate the answers as
 much as I do.

 Just so you on the list know, your answers so far have helped
 enormously! My terrarium is full of vibrant, healthy plants, and
people
 stop by my cube often to see how they're growing. My nepenthes is
 putting out HUGE pitchers for a plant it's size (3" leaves and 3 1/2"
 pitchers!) and they're turning a beautiful deep red, my VFT seeds are
 sprouting, and the previously small plants are bursting from their
pots,
 and even my s. purpurea is finally starting to show some red, after I
 added more light.

 Right now, the problem is d.capensis - The one you all call a weed. :)
 I currently have three full-size d.capensis. One normal, one
wide-leaf,
 and one d.capensis.alba (no red color). At the moment, two of them
are
 putting up flower stalks. I can tell because the stem is fuzzy and
 thicker than the usual stems.

 I've heard the stories of d.capensis spreading everywhere, but.. I
would
 really like to let them flower, as it makes the terrarium look that
much
 more alive - I have a d.adelade that's been flowering for months now.

 So here's the question - Should I let them flower? If I do, should I
 snip it before it starts dropping seed, or can I put a baggie over the
 flower stalk and catch the seeds, so I'll have more if I manage to kill
 the ones I have now? If I can bag the flower scape and catch the
seeds,
 how long should I wait after they flower before I bag it, so I can let
 it flower, but still cover it before the seeds start to spread?

 They may be a weed to many of you, but to a beginner, a hardy sundew is
 a godsend. :)

(The first time I sent this I used a different machine, and it tried to
send MIME headers, so my message got bounced. Ugh! )

--
Matt Ouimette, Tech Support Weasel, Netscape Communications Corporation
ermine@netscape.com       415-937-2841        http://help.netscape.com/