Re: VFT

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 19:23:41 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:23:41 -0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT

>Hi all
>
>VFT dormancy : we are close to december, so anyone who has'nt put his plants
>in dormancy should do it ASAP.
(snip)
>Laurent

Don't be too sure of that, Laurent. I must be more northern than you.

My clump of VFT endured three frosts (not black) in middle October and
three inches of snow (not the first time) in an eight inch pot (crust ice
in the saucer).

It is indoors now since early November and has just finished booming, with
four stalks.

We have had several black frosts up here since and (shudder) more snow. The
VFT is sitting in a cool window that gets western light through the winter.
Sometimes, when the temps get below -20 C (outside), half the pot freezes,
but as I have it planted in live sphagnum moss (which recovers, also) and a
sand/peat/fir bark/perlite mix, little damage is done. Of course, it is
given much dryer conditions when it is inside under dormancy.

VFTs, in my experience, do not need anything more than cool temperatures
and slightly moist soil to enable them to go dormant and survive a winter
(some people put them in their crisper, bare root). Some light seems to
help. In the spring they start up by themselves and when it gets warm
enough, I just put the pot out on the deck.

Up here, my VFT seem to like to eat "no-see-ums" early on and later, when
the traps get big, anything up to wasps.

This clump of VFT's is just over seven year's old. It is one plant that has
been broken up through repotting, but I still maintain the original rhizome
(Hardly. The plant that came from the original rhizome, long ago. Y'all
know what I mean).

Kind Regards,

Rand

PS: Doug - No, they didn't set seeds this year; but I suspect that is
because they bloomed late indoors and had no pollinators. Any opinion?

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Z 5b
<writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>