Re: Re: Nep. soil

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 05:55:00 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:55:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Nep. soil

> Unhappy or not robust include: a weak N.madagascarensis.
>If any of you have these in good shape, please explain how your care
>of them differs from the plants in the above paragraph? Thanks. :)

I have the Home Depot N. madag. that just limped along until I put the
pot in an almost sealed aquarium with fluorescent lights. The plant is
a good 12 inches from the light. It refused to pitcher in the outside
world but just loves the warm, humid climate inside the aquarium. The
aquarium has a small fan that I turn on some days when I remember since
the wind generated is a bit much for the aquarium. The humidity varies
from a low of 70% when the fan is on to a high of 90%.

I don't remember what potting mix it's in, which means I probably should
check to see if it needs changing. Steve, I may have used your mix. I
also added a N. x wrigleyana and N. alata, which were also refusing to
pitcher. They're now putting out several pitchers and I'm beginning to
feel that I'm not a Nepenthes destroyer any more.

David