RE: Nep soils Topic 14

From: Tim Williams (Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 06:14:45 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:14:45 -0000
From: Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Nep soils Topic 14

David Mellard wrote:

>I use a mix consisting of 1:1:1 peatmoss:claybeads
("Lecaton"):Styrofoam >("Styromull") for all my Nepenthes and
Heliamphora.

Is that fine milled peat moss? It's easily available here as such but I've
heard that other grades are available but have never seen them.
Could someone tell me a brandname sold in the US for the claybeads?
---------

David, Andreas;

 Is that "Peat Moss", as in sphagnum moss before decomposition to peat, or
"Moss Peat", the end product? The only "milled" medium I have seen is
"Milled Moss Peat" (from New Zealand), i.e. the brown, powdery,
difficult-to-wet stuff.

I'm confused by the terminology here (and have been with other similar
postings), could the original authors or someone else please clarify for
me! I have always assumed that ---moss was the raw material and ---peat the
end-product.

My 2 bob's worth on the Nep medium topic: 80% Orchid mix and 20% long-fibre
sphagnum moss seems quite good, since the mix contains barks and perlite. I
used this stuff first since Adrian Slack's book recommends it, and it's
readily available. I'd like to try some plants in other mixes but am wary
of disturbing the spider-web-like nep root systems and none of my plants
have yet definitely outgrown a pot. The request by Perry Malouf for nep
growers to post their plant-mix combinations is a very good one, I second
it, but maybe to make it easier, could someone decide on a nice format for
the information (ie a table format) then it would be easier to compare
everyone's postings....? It might include the useful lifetime of the mix
before repotting becomes necessary if the components decompose at all.

Tim Williams.

[Warning! 97 lines of binary inclusion deleted by listproc.]