Potting Neps

From: Al Bickell (bickell@idirect.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 18:22:03 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:22:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Al Bickell <bickell@idirect.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Potting Neps

To Dave Evans and the List,

We have adapted an orchid growing technique for use in growing Nepenthes. It
seems to work well universally with all the species we grow in the greenhouse.

The base of the plant is wrapped into a ball of long fiber sphagnum moss the
size of a baseball. Two inches of White styrofoam (coloured peanuts are
phytotoxic) peanuts are placed on the bottom of the pot and the sphagnum
ball is set on top. The 1" space around the ball is filled with medium grade
orchid bark so that the ball is covered with the bark. We use plastic pots
to help maintain humidity within the pot.

Since the ball is not exposed to air, it dries out very slowly. This
maintains a constantly moist, but not sodden enviroment for the Nepenthes
roots. If water collects in the base of the pot only styrofoam sits in it
and the organic medium does not go sour. Large air spaces within the pot
supply roots with abundant oxygen as they would receive in the wild.

Dave Evans asked " Unhappy or not robust include: N.albomarginata,
V.ventricosa (no I can't get this "weed" to pitcher!!!) and a weak
N.madagascarensis. If any of you have these in good shape, please explain
how your care of them differs from the plants in the above paragraph?
Thanks. :) If you don't treat them differently and they are still happy,
what soil are you using?"

 We have all three of these species blooming using the above method. This
method is used for ALL species with no failures to date. Some plants which
have not been repotted for four years are growing vigorously and pitchering
very well. Hope this helps Dave.

        Al
        Alan Bickell
        Canadian Tissue Culture Labratory