Re: clarification

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@mail.microserve.net)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 14:19:43 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:19:43 -0500 (EST)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@mail.microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: clarification

Michael, and of course, List!

>Perry- I've never been introduced to Tom Hayes however I find it funny
>he should accuse anyone of digging up any plants. His name is notorious
>as a raper of the southeastern savannah.

Perhaps you are thinking of a nursery in New York? They solicited me to
collect up to 300 of any sarr. and I politely declined, thank you. They
were offering a whopping .50 per rhizome! Check my posting from earlier
today to see my personal feelings on collecting.

>cp material from the growing areas of Atlanta Botanical Garden. Its
>pretty bad reputation for people to know of you before they have ever
>met you! Be these feelings expressed by others true or false I don't
>know. I hope not.

I also have skeletons in my closet, but they don't include hot plants,
frogs, or otherwise from ABG. Perhaps my taking close-up photos & therefore
dangling from tour groups, created the impressions you imply. However, as
Ron Gagliardo will gladly vouch, I have ASKED him for many things in the
past. While I gave them plants and seed in trade, Ron was certainly more
generous to me. In fact, I got way out of line asking for stuff, like a kid
in a candy store. Fortunately for me, I have learned to controll my
enthusiasm.

Up until a week ago, my web page was on-line and had many close-ups of my
work. Photos from my most recent trip to ABG include the vft forms Aki-Ryu
and as of yet, unofficially published "Clam", and a wonderful photo of N.
bicalcarata. Now the web provider is having problems, so the page is down
and it looks like I will have to switch again, Arghhh!!

The one think I am guilty of is not having enough time to get to all my
trades in a timely manner. And I would like to make ammends there if
possible. I have been catching up and have contacted most everyone whom I
owe plants, but if I have promised anyone anything in the past, please drop
me a line and remind me now. (Martin Zeverbergen and Scott Portman in
particular) Lots of excuses and personal problems which I won't dump on
everyone else. I am good on my word, I just take longer than I would prefer.

>I keep quiet about these things, because back in the
>70's I have my skeletons. But if someone wants to get a thread going on
>field collecting it should not be Mr. Hayes

Again, I suggest you check your references about my being the great rapist
of the S.E bogs! And Just to clarify, I simply asked a private question as
to how one happened to witness an unearthed N. rajah in a naitonal park,
since they are listed as CITES appendix 1. With that in mind, you have to
admit that it seems a bit odd to be discussing a N. rajah root mass from a
wild dug plant! Had I made any public statements, I could see Perry's being
upset. I figured there was a simple answer and I was just curious. No big
deal. But hey, this is so much more exciting than the usual "my vft is
dying, what am I doing wrong?"

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS