RE: Re:Nep. soil and dolphins

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 05:21:00 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:21:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Re:Nep. soil and dolphins

>Nepenthes soil is something of interest to me as of late. I'm convinced
the reason >most of the hard to grow species are so difficult is because
of soil. Check out
>N. merrilliana, petiolata and northiana. Our traditional mixes just are
>not what they like. Anyone know about that "iron -magnesium" soil
found
>in the red hills on northern Mindinao?

Red soil, that rings a bell since Georgia red clay is right outside my
door. Should anyone want to experiment (provided it's not in the
hundreds), I will gladly ship a load to your doorstep. All you have to
do is pay shipping and say nice things about me.

Cribb in "The Genus Cypripedium" mentions that clay can be a good
component for cyp mixes because it slowly releases nutrients to the
roots. Red clay is also rich in inorganic nutrients. Not sure if these
little tidbits are a factor for Nepenthes as I said mentioning red hills
is what caught me up in this.

David
Where Georgia red clay is sometimes a curse if you have an inside dog
that likes to play in the red dirt outside.