Re:Nep. soil and dolphins

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 20:31:56 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 23:31:56 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nep. soil and dolphins

>Has anyone on the
>list actually done analysis on nep soil in the field?

Hello from Florida,

Trent here in the office (using Richard's computer). Nepenthes soil is
something of interest to me as of late. I'm convinced the reason most of
the hard to grow species are so difficult is because of soil. Check out
N. merrilliana, petiolata and northiana. Our traditional mixes just are
not what they like. Anyone know about that "iron -magnesium" soil found
in the red hills on northern Mindinao? A lot of Nepenthes grow in this
area. How about those limestone hills near Bau, Sarawak? I'm told N.
northiana, albomarginata and maxima all grow here. What is unique about
the soil?

As for dolphins- both the cetacean and the fish live within three miles
of my Nepenthes collection. The fish is best caught on the edges of
sargassum weed floats, where the school will hang for shade and food.
000-hook on monofilament using ballyhoo for bait works great. The
cetacean is bored by this procedure. The third type of dolphin- the
Miami Dolphins- beat the Buffalo Bills 30 to 13 last night.

So far, using advanced scientific methodology, I have found no
connection between any of the three types of Dolphins and my Nepenthes
growing mixes.

But seriously folks feedback on the Nep soils in nature is appreciated.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida (by the way, my resident city of Pompano is named
after another pelagic tropical fish-the Pompano-which also makes for
tasty fillets.)