RE: Virus alert - this is not a hoax!

From: wOb (wOb@chez.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 00:35:51 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:35:51 +0100
From: wOb <wOb@chez.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Virus alert - this is not a hoax!

Perry Malouf[SMTP:pmalouf@access.digex.net] wrote:
> Rob St-Jean wrote:
>
> > Dear CP'ers. This warning is not a hoax and was circulated at my place
> > of work.

> > "WARNING!!!!!! If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW"
> > DO NOT open it! It will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive!
>
> Will a more computer-knowledgeable person please explain to me how
> a virus embedded in e-mail can erase your PC hard drive, even if you
> don't download the e-mail to your PC?
>
> If it really can happen, I'd like to understand the mechanism.
> E-mail me privately if you'd like.

This IS a hoax.
A few weeks ago some of us posted a message explaining why it is impossible
to spread a virus via a single mail message (I mean with no attachement).

The only way to pass a virus through Email is to send it in an attachement, e.g. a .doc file for
Word macro virii or a .com or .exe file for executable virii. Then the virus would only infect your computer
if you open the file (.doc) or run it (.exe or .com).

BTW, never accept any incoming message with attachement from someone you
don't know and you'll be safe.

Cyril 'wOb' Fournillon
Drop me a message: cyril.fournillon@inforoute.cgs.fr
                   wOb@mail.dotcom.fr
                   wOb@chez.com
Visit my HomePage: http://www.inforoute.cgs.fr/fournill
[Voice: +33 1 42 21 78 03] [Fax: +33 1 42 21 76 88] [ICQ: 1397712]
Hi! I'm a .signature virus (mutant version), copy me to
your .signature file to join in.