Re: CP's in Amsterdam

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 16 1997 - 09:19:09 PST

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:19:09 +0000
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP's in Amsterdam

On 13 Nov 97 at 23:11, Pekka Ala-Siuru wrote:
[Visited Plantus Hortus in Amsterdam]
> Compared with The Princess Diana hothouse collection in the Kew Gardens
> (which I visited in March)this was a total comedown. Why?

I've just been commenting over in the CACTI_ETC list that the Dutch
(people of Holland, the Netherlands, too many names for this place!)
seem to be experts on producing plants of all types for sale. Much of
the stock in Garden Centres here in England seems to come from over
there, and my first Nepenthes (looks like N. alata, two plants in the
pot as your said) was almost certainly a Dutch-grown plant.

So I'm glad the England at least seems better at something :-)

Incidentally, I have in my mind that the greenhouse you mention at
Kew isn't really for Princess Di. Possibly she performed the opening
ceremony some years ago, but isn't the 'Princess of Wales' who it
commemorates some other Princess of Wales from many years ago? Of
course I may be completely wrong!

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden