Another fish story!(sorry)

From: Michael Fleck (mfleck@direct.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 23:46:52 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:46:52 -0800
From: Michael Fleck <mfleck@direct.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Another fish story!(sorry)

Randy Palmersfdzeqe0@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us

>Dolphins are mammals, but then, I bet you already know that.

> >Kind Regards,

> >Rand
>
> >Rand Nicholson
> >New Brunswick
> >Maritime Canada, Z 5b
> ><writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
>
> >Yes they are, but they are also fish.
> >Look up Dorado. Many people make this mistake.
> >They are quite beautiful fish.
>
> >Take care
>
> >Mike
>
> Dear Mike:
>
> No.
>
> Fish and mammals are taxonomically distinct and seperate. You are
> _very_
> mistaken on this.
>
> I question your reference: "Dorado." Does he/she/they/it make a
> distinction
> between air breathing and gilled creatures? Set aside internal thermal
>
> regulation of respiratory systems..
>
> Dolphins belong to a large family of aquatic mammals that are _not_
> fish.
>
> Is a whale a fish?

> Kind Regards,
>
> Rand
>
> Rand Nicholson
> New Brunswick
> Maritime Canada, Z 5b
> <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>

Rand:

dolphin (dolfin) n.

1. any of various marine cetacean mammals of the family Delphinidae,
esp. Delphinus delphis, that are typically smaller than whales and
larger than porpoises and have a beak like snout.

2. river dolphin. any freshwater cetacean of the family Plafanisfidae,
inhabiting rivers of North and South America and S Asia. They are
smaller than marine dolphins and have a longer narrower snout.

3. Also called: dorado. either of two large marine percoid fishes,
Coryphaena hippurus or C. equisefis, that resemble the cetacean dolphins
and have an iridescent coloration.

4. Nautical. a post or buoy for mooring a vessel. [C13:
from Old French dauphin, via Latin, from Greek delphin-delphis]

> Uh-oh. There's a controversy a-brewing.

            No controversy, just a misunderstanding.

Randy meant Dolphin(sense 3, see above) Rand was only
aware of Dolphin(sense 1)
I didn't want other people to think Randy was eating
Flipper! :-)
Off topic, I realize. Just trying to clear this up.

Regards

Mike