Re:pH adjustments

From: Michael A Sankovich (aquilla2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 03:57:49 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 06:57:49 -0500
From: aquilla2@juno.com (Michael A Sankovich)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:pH adjustments

I have personally have used H2SO4 to lower pH. adding only one drop at
a time, in a 30 gal plastic trash can,and mixing well and then checking
pH with a meter. It is necessary to have large quantities of extra water
to buffer the pH back up in case you lower it to far. It is pretty
tricky stuff and if you lower it too much will result in the killing of
your plants. I have a friend who grows CP and orchids and he uses
phosphoric acid to lower his pH. I suppose that this is much safer and
the roots benefit from the Phos. I cant emphasize enough that you MUST
check with a meter and have solution mixed well, to make sure that you
are not too acidic.

Just my $.02 worth
Michael Sankovich
"Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust, If the misery don't get you,
 The raspberry julep spring tonic, (with the persimmon sap,) Must!"