They're dead.

From: Benjamin Lasseter (lasseter@chemvx.chem.tamu.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 09 1997 - 16:03:09 PST

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 18:03:09 -0600
From: lasseter@chemvx.chem.tamu.edu (Benjamin Lasseter)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: They're dead.

Dear Friends,
        I admit to it. I killed my carnivorous plants. Although it was
not a deliberate act, the damage has been done.

        For the last five weeks, I have been going through a series of very
difficult exams at Texas A&M University. I knew early on that something
bad was happening when I saw that the traps and all the new leaves growing
on my Venus Fly Trap were going black at the ends. Yet each night, I would
come home late and say, "Tomorrow I will do something to arrest the
problem." A week and a half later, the problem had rather increased in
magnitude and even extreme measures did not seem likely to save my plants.
A combination of the wrong soil, a burnt out light bulb in my artificial
light, tap water instead of distilled water, and a severe fungus problem
had all become one very severe problem within that time.

        The plants died. The moral to be learned: tomorrow is probably too
late.

        So, now I start again, and this time will take more care than before.

        Sincerely,
                Benjamin F. Lasseter