RE: Late Sarracenia flowers

From: Eric Kamakea (ekamakea@haywire.csuhayward.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 15:45:40 PST

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:45:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Eric Kamakea <ekamakea@haywire.csuhayward.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Late Sarracenia flowers

I have an idea about why MY Sarracenia are starting to bloom this late in
the season.... El Nino.
I live in northern California USA.
One other thing that I think that I should mention.
I hadn't been fertilizing my plants for a while.
I then purchased a few more towards the end of the season.
I made a batch of "water" to use for planting the new plants.
The mixture for one gallom of water was 5 drops of Superthrive and 1/8
teaspoon of Miracid.
Since I used up all my remaining water on the new plants I used what was
left over (quite a bit actually)to water my existing plants.
Maybe I thought, it was the the "supplements" to the water that induced
flowering in the established plants. maybe it was El Nino... although
we are in daylight savings time, the last 3 out of 4 days have been quite
warm.
I grow these plants in a south facing window sill.
they get sunlight from approx. 7:30 AM (sometimes the fog lingers or
it is overcast)untill approx. 1:30 PM
I have a two 48-inch fluorescent bulbs (in a single unit) set on a
multiple timer from 6:30 to 10:00 and from 1:00 until 7:00 PM

And i just reduced the overall light cycle from 14 hours!

good growing to all

Eric kamakea