N. bicalcarata

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 04 1997 - 19:54:25 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:54:25 -0500 (EST)
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. bicalcarata

 "Capestany" wrote:

 << I've been growing Nepenthes for two years now. The next Nep I would like
  add to my collection is N. bicalcarata. Any tips/suggestions for
  cultivation? I have the basics (gracilis, ventricosa, mirabilis, etc...)
  and the toughest so far have been the fusca and the spathulata's. How does
  N. bicalcarata compare to these? >>

 Nepenthes bicalcarata is not difficult but does need at least two things:
 heat and space. It is very sensitive to cold, temperatures below 50 degrees
 F. can damage or sometimes kill the plant, and I suspect that this was one
of
 the reasons that it did not thrive in it's early introduction in England.
  Grow it warm, days 85-95 and nights 70 degrees F.

 The other problem you may encounter is space, or rather lack thereof. I get
 a kick out of people who want to grow this species only to find they have
all
 their Nepenthes in a 20 gallon aquarium! N. bicalcarata is best as a
 greenhouse plant, it may have leaves in excess of 3 feet making a 6 foot
plus
 diameter plant. The inflorescence is over two feet tall and the plants
 themselves can easily reach 8-10 feet in a greenhouse. The stems can be
 bigger diameter than your thumb!

 Given all that, the plant is not otherwise fussy. Any soil that will grow
 N. rafflesiana or ampullaria should be fine. It likes fairly high light
level
 in cultivation, while in the wild it grows in some very dark places. It does
 not like to dry out, so attention to watering is in order. Large
containers
 (plastic pots) per size of plant are best, it does not seem to like hanging
 baskets all that much. Lastly, high humidity and a steady diet of ants and
 roaches. I do not feed the plants, but just happen to live in the bug
capital
 of the U.S. The plants dine on their own.

 Cliff