N.x boissiensis 'rubra

From: Steve & Jan Grigg (sgrigg@ultra.net.au)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 22:08:18 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:08:18 +1100
From: "Steve & Jan Grigg" <sgrigg@ultra.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N.x boissiensis 'rubra

 Hi Perry,
               I have grown this particular cross for many years and your
observations are the same as mine. While the plant is small and has basal
shoots, they produce prolific trape. As the plant grows longer, trap
production slows quite quickly with the exception of the tendrils which
attach themselves to something on their travels up. These leaves produce the
upper traps which will last for a very long time. This is not the only plant
to only produce traps where the tendril manages to get a hold on something.
I have an extensive Nepenthes collection consisting of hundreds of plants
gathered over the last 15 years or so and a great many of them behave this
way. Is it a means of not getting too heavy with traps and possibly falling
and breaking before it has a chance to flower? Who knows. I may just go out
and ask them when we talk later during watering!
          Steve Grigg. http://www.ultra.net.au/~sgrigg