Re: N. x boissiensis 'rubra'

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 14:27:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 03 Nov 97 17:27 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. x boissiensis 'rubra'

> From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@ACCESS.DIGEX.NET>
>
> So, here I am letting my N. boissiensis 'rubra' grow long vines
> with no pitchers. I guess I should be pruning it back like
> crazy, close to the base of the vine, to promote basal growth
> (and the accompanying pitchers).

Hi Perry,

    Yes, I've seen this one. Infact I have grown both N. boissiensis
and N.b. 'rubra'. The former pitchers quite easily while the latter
plant simply refuses in the same conditions that all my other lowland
Neps enjoy. BTW, you can get 'rubra' vines to pitcher by keeping it's
environment warmer, though it's the basal rosettes that have the most
pitchers. Seems like this clone hasn't much in the way of cold toler-
ance while N. boissiensis isn't as picky... Oh, the N.boissiensis looks
more like N.ampullaria than 'rubra' which looks more like N.gracilis.

Dave Evans